In today’s post, we are sharing five reasons to hire a disability attorney.
When someone becomes disabled, they can no longer work. Disabled individuals have the right to file for disability.
When someone files for disability and is denied, they have the right to hire an attorney.
Learning about the process of hiring an attorney will assist disabled individuals in making the right decisions for their needs.
5 Reasons To Hire a Disability Attorney
There are many reasons a person should hire the best OPERS disability attorneys. Disabled individuals have rights afforded to them under the law, and an attorney works to protect those rights. The following are some of the reasons a person should work with an attorney.
The attorney will not charge a fee unless the client wins the case. Often, disability attorneys work on contingency. If the individual wins, the attorney will charge a set percentage of the settlement.
2. Peace Of Mind
Filing for disability benefits is often stressful. Having an attorney working on their side allows a person great peace of mind. The attorney becomes an advocate for the injured client.
3. Having a Knowledgeable Professional At Your Disposal
If the individual receives a denial, the attorney will help with the appeals process. Having attorney representation is crucial during an appeal because of the many steps involved in the process.
4. Appropriate Expertise In Disability Laws
Attorneys know the law and can use it to the advantage of disabled people. Their knowledge of disability laws allows attorneys to better serve the needs of their clients.
5. Speeding Up The Legal Process
Another reason a person should hire an attorney to help with a disability claim is the speed of the process. An attorney can often help speed up the process so a person can receive their benefits much faster.
What to Expect From the First Appointment With the Attorney
When someone becomes disabled and can no longer work, they need to consider hiring an attorney. Preparing for the first meeting with the attorney is essential. People can prepare in the following ways:
- Before a person goes to the appointment, they need to prepare a list of information to share with the attorney. Preparing a list ensures the client does not forget any pertinent details they should share with the attorney. A person should also make a list of questions to ask the disability attorney.
- Clients also need to bring any medical records they have available. Medical records become essential in any disability claim because the claimant must prove their disability. The courts require a claimant to produce medical records and letters from at least two doctors.
- If the individual has already filed for disability, they should bring copies of their disability forms and any letters received from Disability Determination Services. Providing these documents will equip the attorney with the information they need to help the client.
Seek an Attorney For Your Disability Claim Needs
Many people get help with their disability claims from the very beginning. Getting an attorney involved from the start ensures the paperwork and documentation are handled appropriately. Should a person receive a denial, the attorney will start the process of appealing. Individuals should schedule a consultation appointment to learn about their rights and the actions they can take for appealing an unfavorable decision.
We hope this post about five reasons to hire a disability attorney was insightful. The right attorney will work on behalf of disabled clients to protect their rights and best interests as they pursue disability benefits. While hiring an attorney does not guarantee an outcome, it offers great peace of mind for those pursuing disability benefits.